[Dailydrool] Getting a second dog concerns (long)

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 13:27:19 PST 2009

My DH an I have been considering getting another Basset to keep company
with our current 'child'.  But we've been having some serious questions
too.  If we get one, it will be a rescue, that is a given.
Our present furbaby is a 3 yr. old female, spayed -- purchased as a
buppy from a family in rural Wisconsin.  She's our first female -- all
our previous hounds were male and either full-Bassets (as she is) or
Basset mixes.  And only one at a time.
Gabby is a sweetie and, on the whole, a *very* good dog. (Spoiled
rotten, of course.) She doesn't counter-cruise, doesn't steal from
unattended plates or cookie boxes on the dining room table (although
she's an award-winning beggar).  She hasn't destroyed any household
goods or clothing since she was probably 4-5 months old.  The only
things she 'steals' are slippers -- and that only because she wants to
be chased!  She takes huge pleasure in de-voicing any new squeaky that
she is given -- but, we know that when we give them to her.  She's not
an unnecessary barker. She *is* highly sensitive to loud voices -- runs
and leaves the room. She loves visitors, *but* is rather shy when she's
out in public -- especially around other dogs.  She does do that
'submission piddling' when highly excited or stressed -- like at the
vet's.  She, unfortunately, developed Addison's at a little over one
year of age.  So, she has to endure a monthly trip to the vet's for her
Percorten shot.
Since our backyard is fenced and DH and I are retired, with a few minor
health concerns, Gabby doesn't get walked much at all.  We figured
another hound would be company when we have to leave her alone. (She is
never kenneled -- has full run of 80% of the house.)  And it would be
someone to play with when the old folks are too pooped to play.
*Our concerns include:*  Gabs is not a dominant dog -- we don't want a
new dog to dominate her -- hopefully, she could share being #1.
Also, since we seem to have an *almost* <vbg> Basset saint, we don't
want a new dog teaching her 'new tricks'!!!
What age range should we look for compatibility?
And, another female -- or a male?  (My preference would be for a female.)
Unfortunately, since we're on a more limited income now (and Gabby's
Addison's costs close to $100 a month) we need to have the new addition
be currently healthy, too.

Thanks for any insights.

Kathie G