[Dailydrool] How do you put weight ON a Cushings Basset

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Sat Jan 3 17:39:10 PST 2009

I just returned from a week+ in Pasadena, CA  and since I couldn't
find a house sitter the pups were boarded at my vet.  And of course,
to add to the boarding cost, both Buford and Guinness (the cat) were
due for all their annual vaccinations, physicals, etc....and to add
insult to injury, Della developed a lovely UTI prior to my
departure.  That's the bad news.  The GOOD news is that Buford's
annual tests all came back GREAT and for the first time in ages
things seem to be "under control."

Except one itsy bitsy thing:  his weight.

The boy had gone from 65 to 48 about 2 years ago and I've managed to
get him back up to between 52-55 the last 6 months.  Since starting
him on the Trilostane for Cushings he's managed to gain a couple lbs
and has maintained 57 lbs for the last month.  But his is thin
regardless.  You can feel ribs and shoulder blades, and his spine has
little meat on it as well.  To look at him you would say he was
perfect.  But when you feel him, you instantly realize that there is
not much there.

So without overfeeding the guy (because the last thing I want is
bloat!) does anyone with Cushing's pups have any advice on achieving
some mild weight gain over a safe period of time?  I know he has lost
tons of muscle and now that his energy level better we started our
daily walks again (Buford hasn't gone for a regular daily walk in
over 2 years---he simply didn't have the energy to even WANT to go!
Now?  He drags my sorry butt down the sidewalk!  But he gets tired
quickly so the return trip takes some time.)  He probably needs to be
between 60-65 lbs for his body size, and that was the weight he was
at when he was most healthy.

Happy New Year Everyone!

--Heidi   (Back from the Rose Parade--if you watched I was one of the
band directors who put the Super/Mega unit together with the Sesame
Street theme and the 315-member National Honor Band...winning the
President's Trophy was fun but I missed the pups so much!  Maybe they
could have ridden with Big Bird and Bob....next time!)
--Buford, OEBE Garbagemeister Extraordinaire (The next time the
MomPerson walks away from the kitchen counter the chicken breast will
be mine!)
--Della (I hate UTI's, and they just keep coming back!)
--Guinness the cat (mom shut me up in a cage at the vet's...does she
really think I'm NOT going to rip the sides off the couch tonight?!)