[Dailydrool] heavy sleep breathing

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 17:43:13 PST 2009

I am having a rather quiet night tonight for a change, and while I am doing some computer stuff, I have Pierre sleeping in bed behind me.  I have always noticed that when he sleeps, his breathing is heavy and labored, and tonight I decided to video it, to perhaps show the Vet.  I might post it to You tube;  anyway, none of the other 7 hounds do this, and Pierre has allergies and does take medication for them.  I always thought this was the reason, but, it is just bothering me a little more tonight.  Also, his coat is thinning more than usual, and his skin is pretty flaky.   He is only 6 1/2, but has had allergies almost his entire life.  He has had pred.  regularly, and when I try to skip a dose, he breaks out pretty bad.  We have had him on shots, atopica, oriental meds, flax, temeral-p, hydroxyazine, and while I really try to keep pred to a minimum, it really works the best for him.  I use topical powders and lotions also, but that is hard because he wants to go after his hot spots even more to get at the treatment.  He has an appointment for Tuesday, so we will see.  He also cries out in his sleep more than the others.  He will really squeak and chatter some nights as if he is having an awful dream, and he does do the classic Aroooooo while asleep which is actually rather entertaining.  Just lifts his head still asleep and let's one go, and then lays back down.  Of course, I sleep rather lightly, and I usually will pet him gently when he is disturbed, and this quiets his cries.  Jackie and the hounds