[Dailydrool] review on Marley and me from a different prespective

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Mon Jan 5 10:37:50 PST 2009

one scene, the wife is dealing with postpartum depression. The husband
comes home to find her freaking out and literally beating the dog with
her fists. Other scenes have them closing him up for hours in a garage
all alone, only later to find something he's destroyed because he is
scared to be alone in the garage during a thunderstorm. (This takes
place in Florida, so hello! We have a lot of storms down here folks!)

How is any of this funny? Who would want to see a movie like this, let
alone put money in the pocket of the person who abused this dog and the
Hollywood industry that wants to also make a buck off of it?

Finally, to top it off, the story ends when the family, now with the
addition of children, decides that they want to go to Disney on a family
vacation, but then there's the dog who is now old and ill. What are they
to do? Well, of course, they decide to put the dog down so they can go
see Mickey Mouse, makes perfect sense to these cold and horrible people.

Other than the fact that this story is sick, my real concern is the many
people who may watch the movie and think, "He is so cute. We should get
a dog!" Considering this book was a best seller and now turned into a
major motion picture, obviously a majority of people think the treatment
of this dog was okay, that pets are throw-away objects to be discarded
when we tire of them or find them inconvenient. By releasing this movie
during the holiday season, this could very well mean more incompetent,
cruel people might decide to buy that little puppy with the red ribbon
around its neck without realizing that puppies turn into full grown dogs
in just a few years, and along the way that means lots of chewing,
barking, barfing, peeing, and general destruction along with lots of
unconditional, unquestioning love and loyalty.

Helena Poist

Proplanner

2321 North Loop Drive

Ames, IA 50010