[Dailydrool] sibling rivalry

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue Jan 6 13:34:44 PST 2009

I don't remember just which previous post you refer, but I may have some
ideas.

First, are they really fighting or are they just playing
very loudly?  When bassets get into wrestlemania play mode it often
sounds like a fight to the death but no loose blood is generated.  If
there is no blood, they may be just playing.

If it is real
fighting, sometimes a time out in a crate will take care of it (as when
Nigel or Lewis tussle with Mr. Cooper Sir).

If time out doesn't
do the trick, is there a clear alpha between the two already?  If so,
reinforce that status to discourage the lower status basset from
challenging the alpha dog.  Alpha dog eats first.  Alpha dog
goes throough doors before the other, alpha gets to sleep with mom, but
not the other.  Alpha dog get treats first, first choice of toys,
first pets when you arrive home, eetc.

If there is no clear
alpha, they may need to just work it out who is.  this might
mean letting them fight until one wins, provided no one is getting
seriously injured.  Do NOT reprimand the combatees, and then
reinforce the winner's status.

We so often think of our hounds
as children in furry pajamas, that we sometimes forget they are really
dogs, descended from wolves, and with anate canine instincts and
behaviors.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at www.bbrescue.org