[Dailydrool] Not Barking

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 08:18:47 PST 2009

Some dogs/Bassets are just not barkers. My bitch Aretha, who lives with a
pack that includes several noisy girls, has never developed the inclination
to bark herself. She's not debarked, she just isn't a Barker. She's leap on
your with great joy and enthusiasm, and kiss, and run and sort of alert to
things...but if I had to rely on her barking to get my attention, she'd be
completely ignored!

When a dog is debarked, they still bark (since generally to be debarked,
they were originally barkers! ;) - but it's very muted, and sort of sounds
hoarse. But you can definitely tell they are barking...just not in a loud or
annoying way...

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
SPDR Basset Pack