[Dailydrool] Nonstandard English

Anne Savidge AnneSavidge at dcccd.edu
Tue Jan 13 06:22:43 PST 2009

Sylvie, I didn't read your message to the "bassetese" posters as an attack, but of course you may interpret your own writing as you wish. I am another person who does not read any of the posts written in the voice of their bassets when that writing is not in generally accepted grammar, syntax and spelling. I teach English as a Second Language to adults, and I have to read stuff which looks like that (and worse) all day long. I can't wade through any more by the time I sit down at my computer and read the Drool, which is just for me. Some days---like after reading 38 student essays on the same topic--- it's hard enough to get through the postings in which folks have forgotten that "loose" is an adjective meaning "not tight" and not the verb "lose," meaning "to come to be without."

For all of you who are rolling your eyes, this isn't an attack, either. I don't send personal posts to people and correct their grammar and spelling, nor have I ever mentioned this issue here before. I still laugh at the funny stories and sniffle over the sad ones and get nostalgic when some of the 'oldies but goodies' from Drool archives are brought back again.

It's a result of my profession that I notice nonstandard English, and like others, obviously, I simply choose not to read it. I'm not offended by nonstandard writing; I'm just too tired to make the effort to interpret it.

Auntie Anne