[Dailydrool] Advice and Winter Feet

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed Jan 14 18:27:30 PST 2009

I used Chlorohexaderm on Nick when his allergies and skin were bad.  It is
very strong and needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.  It does sound
like Pierre may be having an adverse reaction.  Another fairly benign
topical treatment for yeasties is the Blue Ear Treatment solution.  You can
apply it with a cotton pad or soft cloth.  The Gentian Violet is an
anti-yeast agent - but it does stain everything, including fur, so be aware
of a possible blue basset (and hand).

I have never used chap stick or blistex on my dogs' feet, but I have used a
commercial pad conditioner and bag balm.  The bag balm works really well,
but is kind of sticky if it isn't worked in well.  The pad conditioner is
similar, but more creamy in texture.  The purpose of both is to keep the
pads from drying out and cracking.  When I have used it, I apply it before
the dogs go to bed for the night so they are crated and it is absorbed
before morning.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com