[Dailydrool] This and that

Laura Salmon laurarsalmon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:52:29 PST 2009

More drool is coming for Miss Twinkletoes and for Pierre -- we hope for
continued full recovery.  Drool for JJ, for his worried mom Cindy, and for
his worried grandmom Renee -- that Drool is powerful stuff.  He'll be OK.
Drool for Newman and his surgery and teeth cleaning, and don't worry drool
for Regina.  You're all in my thoughts.

Humphrey...dude...loving BBQ is one thing...traveling the streets of NYC
solo to get it is another.  Please take mommy and daddy the next time you
get a jonze for BBQ!!

A big welcome to "Hey, you...leave the cat alone she's not a chew toy!"
Here's hoping you get an easier name soon! :-)  And congratulations to Vikki
and Spencer!

Thank you Donna for the update on Claudia.  I'm so glad to hear the drool
worked and she's home and feeling better.

Also, I was so impressed at those of us who actually make fires for our
bassets!  Geoffrey, Molly, and Henry are in awe and will try to live up to
such fine examples of slave-training.

And last...why I love the Daily Drool:

I first joined in 2006, trying to learn about bassets after falling in love
with Geoffrey at pet adoption day at Petsmart.  I remember telling my
husband that I found this listserve, and people write pretending to be their
bassets, in broken English, and wasn't that weird?  Flash forward about
three months and I was hooked...laughing at the stories, having learned
bassetese, sharing them with my husband.  Having to put my beloved lab Lisa
down 9 months later and being absolutely touched by the outpouring of
support I received from my friends on the Drool -- Lisa was my first dog,
ever, and I felt like I had found a group of people who really understood my
loss.  Being warmed by the notes of support when I adopted Molly and Henry,
my second and third bassets.  A saved (expensive) visit to the emergency vet
on a holiday Sunday when Geoffrey had a sebaceous cyst explode and many,
including Bev, wrote within minutes of my posting allaying my concerns and
telling me how to patch him up until I could get him to his regular vet.

And now, in 2009, the Drool isn't just friends, it's family I haven't yet
met.  I have met two wonderful friends via the Secret Pawtner exchange.
While I have yet to be able to participate in the Howliday card exchange (I
have a job in finance, and the end of the year is always horrible for me),
the Winstanleys are kind enough to post their Howliday cards so I can share
and get to know your bassets -- at least those I haven't met through the
wonderful calendar that Ellie Foth and her elves put together, which brings
a smile to my face every single day when I turn the page.  I have become
involved in basset rescue, helping BROOD by entering vet reports in their
shelter management system and doing home visits for prospective adopters.  I
have a warm spot for every dog I have helped find a forever home.  I've
helped people who love their bassets and bassets who needed help, and I'm a
better person for it.  Thank you all, my Drool family, for all you give to
me.  Long may we live.  Laura (Geoffrey, Molly, Henry, Rosebud, Lisa (ATB),
Dub-Dub (ATB))