[Dailydrool] Scooting & Pumpkin

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jan 16 12:58:56 PST 2009

Scooting *may* be a sign of anal glands needing to be expressed.  Dogs scoot
to express the anal glands when there is pressure in them.  Normally, the
process of feces passing through the anus expresses the glands and provides
lubrication.  So, scooting is natural but attention does need to be paid if
scooting is a frequent occurrence.  So - how does pumpkin relate to
scooting??  Pumpkin is a good fiber source in the diet.   Fiber, of course,
helps the bowels move more freely.  We have begun putting a heaping
tablespoon of pumpkin on our dogs' food once a day since November.  It is a
much better fiber source than Johnny's preference - sticks and twigs.
Sticks and twigs are NOT a good choice - things get all clogged up!!   Most
dogs love pumpkin - just be sure to buy the pure pumpkin, not the pumpkin
pie mix.  Although the pumpkin pie mix won't hurt them, it is not as
effective since it is somewhat diluted with other ingredients.   Also, yams
(sweet potatoes) are another good source of fiber for dogs, as are carrots
and green beans.  When I see my dogs "grazing" and munching on grass (not
with an upset tummy), I cook up some green beans (I use frozen chopped green
beans) and toss them in with their food.  When I cook them, I make them *el'
dente* (kind of crunchy).  My dogs also love fresh, raw green beans.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com