[Dailydrool] Elvis update

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:29:01 PST 2009

It has been some time since I have posted an update on Elvis. It is almost 6 months now since he lost the use of his backlegs due to suspected spondylosis. First- everything CAN move and does at one time or another. His tail is very strong now. When he shakes- he shakes right to the tip of his tail. Once in a while we get a little tail wagging. His legs move when touched in the reflex spots, when he sleeps or when he stretches. Sometimes his leg will bounce up and down ( sort of like when you get a muscle tic). All the parts work- just somewhere there is still a 'loose connection' with the brain. Lately, when he is on carpeting he manages to sort of get on his knees and do a couple of 'steps' that way. He no longer scooches around flat on his tush ( worried for a long time he'd really mess up the sensitive anal tissue area!) but rather scooches on his hindquarters- if that makes sense. He lifts his butt ( just off the floor) and tail to poop. His backlegs no longer look like dried out drumsticks- there is some muscle tone to them now. Overall he is a very happy sweet boy and not walking on all fours does not appear to bother him in the least. We have had a lot of snow this year-and it came early. So he has not had use of the wheels for about two and a half months now. We live in the boonies and the only place the cart might work now is in the driveway if it plowed down enough. He would want to go further than that- so we just don't. He does get to go outside on our wrap-around porch and scooches along just fine out there. We see little improvements all the time and expect to see him on all fours again in the future!
droolies, Angelika
ps- Karen... we would LOVE for you to send us some warmth...and are more than willing to share our 180+ inches of snow so far for this season! I am SOOOO ready for spring!