[Dailydrool] poop eating, naval lint

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:44:57 PST 2009

My 30 yr old nephew was visiting and snorted coffee out his nose when he heard me yell out the back door "Channy, Arthur is NOT a soft serve machine, and we do NOT participate in the hot breakfast program like the schools!"

It was totally worth it to see the look on his face after that episode.  He couldn't understand how I could do that with a straight face, but after a while, it is just second nature to call it like it is.  AHHH, the joy of owning bassets...

Clover is my other poop eater.  We often catch her doing the shit and spin.  She is also my belly button lint hound.  I can't get DH to clean it out, but I always have to show him how much she has collected.  Now that she has breast cancer on one mammary chain she has very distended teats on one side, so collects even more.  I have to lift her breast to clean out between them.  She doesn't mind a gentle massage on the distended side, so is in no pain at this time.  We will let her go on until she tells me that she doesn't want to be here anymore, then we will let her go.  So far she is happy and active (for an arthritic 12 yr old) and she eats well, poops well, and loves her snacks and her lovins.  Hopefully she will be with us well into the spring.  We thought she had taken a turn for the worse Monday, because she refused her breakfast and hadn't pooped like she normally does.  We figured that she had a tumor or something pressing on her bowel, making her unable to pass stool, which would definitely be a sign that it was time to let her go.  She finally got us up at 2:30 Tuesday morning and passed stool, then did it another big one at 6:00am, and acts like a new dog.  She is happy, eating, pestering us for pets or water or treats or whatever she wants.  Just wish it would get warmer so that she could go for a short walk.  The arthritis makes it very hard to blaze a trail through the snow, which she used to love.  She tries, then after about 10 to 20 feet her legs start to fail and she just can't go any more and I have to stomp a path to rescue her.  It is sad when our friends get old and we see the signs that they are going to leave us, but it is good to know that they have had a full life, unlike some of the young hounds who die before their time.

Grace and peace to all,

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!