[Dailydrool] to Amputate?

JULIE LORD jal315 at msn.com
Wed Jan 21 10:18:36 PST 2009

Hello everyone, I have a question and hope someone has dealt with this or knows someone who has.  Our female basset age 10 has been diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in the forearm (elbow).  The good part is that the vet says this is not a cancer that will spread easily however for survival and quality of life he recommends amputation of the entire forearm.  Have any members had experience with amputation of a hounds' forearm?  Our girl is older, however she is on the smaller size only 35lbs.  I have attempted to researched the effects of amputation of a forearm on a basset hound but have found no information.  Only found sites with information on mainly large breeds (long legged).  We are concerned that our girl will not be able to walk or get around since the hounds are low slung and heavy chested.  Anyone who has info is free to email me privately at jal315 at msn.com.