[Dailydrool] Jake to the bridge

Linda1annewhee at aol.com Linda1annewhee at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 14:25:48 PST 2009

I just finished reading the poem about Annie on her calendar page from
yesterday and it touched me so much I had to write about a wonderful, wonderful
black lab that made his final trip on e 22nd of January.  It must have been
fate that I read the poem.  I, myself have 3 rescued bassets all with major
health issues but Jake has been special to me for 3 years.  He wasn't my  dog, in
fact he was really nobody's dog.  He was rescued by the nursing  home where my
dad lived until his death last January.  Now Jake's former  owner gave him up
because his new wife didn't want to be bothered with his very  loud bark and
dog hair.(I'd have given up the wife to tell the truth)  He  lived in an
assortment of foster homes before coming to Brooke Grove,  From  the beginning Jake
was the perfect care taker for the residents  with no  training at all,.  He
sat next to wheel chairs and let people pet him and  was careful not to trip
anyone.  Jake's only vice was that  he  loved to eat.and ate administrators
lunches given a chance.   Anyway, Jake attached himself to my dad and one was
never seen without the other  probably because dad always had some dog treats,
Now Jake would come in  every morning and wake my dad up. and sit with him
while he was on the computer  or out in the garden.  This wonderful guy gave my
dad something to live for  as he did all the other residents,  Jake new my voice
and when I would come  into visit my dad he would run to greet me and rush
down to my dad's room with  me barking all the way.  The staff always knew when
I was coming down the  hall.  Of course I always had a treat for Jake too.
Anyway the day my  dad died Jake sat with me all day until the funeral home came
to pick up his  body,  As I left that day Jake reached up and put those big
paws around my  neck as if to say I miss him too.  This past year I have been
volunteering  at the nursing home and visiting with Jake every chance I got.
He still  would run down to my dad's old room when I came to see if he had
returned.   Yesterday Jake's big heart gave out and they had to send him to the
bridge.  It would be nice if some droolers could light a candle to lead  Jake
to the bridge where I know my dad will be greeting him with lots of  treats.  A
more wonderful dog has never lived and he gave and gave of  himself to so
many.  He will never know how many lives he has touched and  his passing has left
a big hole in my heart
                                          Thank you
                                              Linda, slave to Maggie, Daisy
and permanent Brood foster  Betsy