[Dailydrool] Please check this link out it might just be an answer to the skin problems in your Bassets

Norma n.whelan at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 09:33:11 PST 2009

Hi everyone ,i notice that several of you have been writng in asking for
advice on your Bassets having a skin problem ,some of you have said that
you have tried various things from your vet with no success .Well some
of you know that Pw Angel got sick and very nearly died after eating a
vole which contained warfarin ,after surviving that she got sick again
but with the help of Sandy Gaston and Dr Al  and there advice she
manages to have a very happy life,we have occasional hiccups but we
manage eventually to get them back under control .Now i know this is
different from the ones that are posting about the skin problems but the
Pw does have allergys too ,vinegar is one of her allergys she cannot
have anything with acid in it she gets the most horrendous sore ears ,so
ear cleaners and such are a big no no for her .We use saline solution to
clean her ears i just buy the over the counter one for contact lenses
the inexpensive one ,she has this put in her ears twice a week and gets
then cleaned with baby wipes twice a day every day it works for her
.Another thing she is allergic to is Cranberrys her neck and chest get
all red and sore so thats another no no ,as for the food then she only
gets pasta well well washed she will not touch rice she hates it
,potatoes,chicken,cottage cheese, probiotic drinks and yoghurts .Treats
are also a no no so she gets chicken roll .The reason for my post is i
want to tell you about Dr Al ,you see he has this theory that some
animals and people have a hormonal imbalance he calls it "Endocrine
-immune -imbalance " and this can cause skin problems.He does also say
that you should cut out all foods and stuff and start a diet of white
potatoes and cottage cheese to start of with ,then its a process of
elimation if you add something say chicken for a few days see what
happens if no reaction carry on then add something else and go on  like
that .But what he does point out is that although this could work for a
while you FIRST have to find the problem ,now im going to post a link
for you to look at his site for yourselfs you may just find the answer
to your problem .I would also highly recommend his book Pets at Risk it
is very informative and interesting and helpful ,on his site you will
see a link to Sandy Gastons show the first Sunday of every month Dr Al
is on it you should really listen to the show and you can even phone up
and ask for advice or email them .You should actually listen to the show
every Sunday because i have picked up the most helpful tips and saved
myself 3 visits to the vet ,anyway i just thought that just maybe there
might be an answer there for you and maybe some others too that have a
different problem .Drool and Prayers to everyone in need