[Dailydrool] Hurt paw

White, Randee randee.white at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Jan 29 06:28:29 PST 2009

Has anyone ever had a dog rip the tough layer of skin from their paw pad?  Dan was not wanting to bear weight on his right front paw last night.  It looks like he may have gone outside yesterday with a wet paw, put it down on an icy patch and perhaps got stuck.  When he pulled his paw free, he left most of the rough layer of his paw pad behind.  That's the only thing I can think of as the pad is swollen, red and missing most of that layer.  It's not bleeding, it really looks like that layer of pad just got peeled off.  We have an appointment at the vetman this morning so I guess we'll see, but I wondered if anyone else has ever had this happen?  How long does it take for the paw to heal?  Randee (I didn't think you'd go this far to avoid heeling!) and Dan (Ouch!)