[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 43, Issue 10

Richie,Mary Ann mareese at mdanderson.org
Thu Jan 29 07:35:10 PST 2009

I am a new member to the Daily Drool Mail List from Houston, Texas and I love reading the daily posts.  I even tried the recommendation to express anal glands while bathing our Basset Maggie - but I did not seem to be able to feel any walnut sized anything on either side of the "tailpipe" and I am sure that I didn't do any good because nothing smelled horrible. I will have to try again at next bathtime.

We adopted our precious Maggie from Basset Buddies Rescue of Texas in October of 2007.  She was a victim of Hurricane Katrina and weighed 25 lbs when they rescued her from the streets of Louisiana.  She was also HW positive, had tapeworms, bacterial pneumonia, a urinary tract infection, eye infection, ear infection, and bore the scars that are telltale of her struggle for survival. Due to her weakened state, the vet did not expect her to survive the pneumonia, but she fooled them and miraculously pulled through!  She is now a happy, healthy 65 pounds and the sweetest, most loving companion to us and her 2 brothers - Beagle Bentley and terrior-mix Pepper.

I wanted to tell everyone about a children's stage play called Too Many Beagles that is being produced by our community theater - UpStage Theatre.  It is an animal rescue story that is loosely based on our Basset Hound Maggie coming to be fostered and ultimately adopted by our family.  It is narrated by our Beagle Bentley who tells of his woes when Maggie arrives.  I wrote it and my husband wrote the delightful music and lyrics with the exception of one song called "A Basset is an Asset" that Bronwyn Edwards Cryer (another avid Basset lover!) has graciously given us permission to use.  You can hear it on Youtube.com or her new website www.abassetisanasset.com.  This show is designed to teach children about the option of fostering and adoption through humor and songs - but anyone who loves dogs and especially hounds - will laugh heartily  If anyone out there knows of anyone in Houston, please let them know about this show.  It runs from February 21st through March 8th on Saturdays and Sundays at 2pm in Lambert Hall at 17th Street and Heights Blvd.  Profits from the show along with our thanks go to Basset Buddies Rescue of Texas who never gave up on our precious Maggie.  You can email me for a flyer or you can get the details on our theater website:  www.upstagetheatre.org.  Show program support ads run from $25 for a 2-line ad up to a full page at $150.  If anyone needs information to list the animal rescue group of your choice to support this benefit show, then please contact me for details.  DVDs of the show will be available at the end of March for $20 plus postage.

Keep drooling in behalf of our beloved Hounds!