[Dailydrool] grief in hounds

Beth Howering momarroo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 07:24:06 PST 2009

We have had this issue when we lost Shadow and Hugo was extremely attached
to him.  It helped to let him smell things that had Shadow's scent - he
would lay on Shadow's dog bed.  He mourned a long time for his friend and we
allowed him that sadness.  It took a while, but he eventually started being
himself again.  When Blossom died, he mourned again, but not in the same
way.  He would go out and sit on her grave and howl the most beautiful,
eerie howl.  Arfur also did this.  Totally did me in.  Time seems to be the
only healer, and allowing them to come to terms with their grief.  I also
have to say, a little extra attention didn't hurt.  Of course, with Hugo,
the Eeyore of the hound world, you had to really look to see the healing.
It was clear when he started playing again.  That was after Shadow.  He
still hasn't started since Blossom left a year ago.

We are so sorry that Harvey had to leave.  We will drool for Pearl and for
you to get through this difficult mourning period.  May all be left with
beautiful memories and the warm glow of love shared.

Beth, slave to Hugo, Arfur, and Vito and my Blossom atb

Blossom www.dogster.com/?50296
Hugo  www.dogster.com/?443659
Arfur  www.dogster.com/?443631
Vito  www.dogster.com/dogs/804728.

O Great Spirit, grant that I might not criticize my neighbor until I have
walked a mile in his moccasins.

Help feed the animals http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/tpc/ERA_040208_ARS