[Dailydrool] grief in dogs.

Shirley snoozinhounds at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 10:54:11 PST 2009

When Sherman went to the Bridge Cleo did  mourn and made such a keeling
sound it sent shivers up your spine and she was in mourning for a couple of
weeks.   When Cleo died  at work - I brought her in my car and let the dogs
sniff her.  They didn't mourn for her but for about a year if Barney would
see an old lemon and white he would perk up and go to see if it were her.
As soon as he saw it wasn't her  his tail went down, head down and he would
sadly walk back to us.   Barney was too sick to stand when it was time for
him to go to the bridge.  I allowed the other dogs to sniff him which they
did and when we left for the vet and he did not return they did not seem to
mourn- maybe the sniffing of his sick body helped them understand he was
dying.  Not sure but it would make sense.  While they did not actually mourn
him they did and still at time miss him.  He was the one who started the
morning and evening howl a thons and so occassionaly when I can see Harrison
in howl a thon position I start the howling and that seems to satisfy him.
So I think it must depend on the dog and each situation must be different.

Shirley Mueller

Mom to Harrison, Sally Belle with Barney, Cleo, Sherman and Fritz at the
bridge