[Dailydrool] Have a girl basset in need of the UnderHound Railroad.....

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:31:47 PDT 2009

(Sorry for the mass e-mail, I don't usually do this).  OK, we have
"acquired" a little girl basset, who we need to move out of our area
as soon as possible.   Here is the story:

There is a family in our subdivision (several streets over from us),
who have had these two bassets in their yard as long as we've lived
here (3 years). I spoke to the guy once, he had puppies for sale
(grrr). At 6 weeks. (double grrr). The dogs are outside in all
weather, rain or shine or 100-degree heat. They apparently had litters
every time she came into heat. So it got to where I wouldn't walk by
there on our walks, because it just killed me to see them through the
fence, always filthy. And over time, she kept getting skinnier. So I
guess he was eating her food, and the stupid people never bothered to
notice. I even called Animal control once to check on them, but as far
as I know, they didn't do anything.

So three weeks ago during the big storm, their fence came down, and
the two escaped. A friend of ours caught them, and returned then to
the people. I begged her, if they get out again, to bring them to me.
So last weekend, she called. The girl basset had escaped again. She
brought her to us; the poor thing was caked with mud all over, and so
thin we could see every rib and every vertebrae along her back. (no
collar, no tags, no microchip, of course). The male didn't get out, so
he is still there.

Oh, and she was in heat, too. So we took her to the our vet; he was
great, said he'd present a report to Animal Control if we ever needed
him to, that she was class-4 emaciated when we brought her in. So
we've had her tested - NEGATIVE for heartworms and worms, thank dawg,
it's a miracle - and UTD on all shots, and we got her spayed.

She is the sweetest little thing. She jumps at loud noises and is
scared of fireworks (duh), but is otherwise very sweet and loving. I
put her up on the couch with me to watch TV the other night, and she
snuggled up on my lap and went right to sleep. So cute. She's even
housebroken!! (So she must have been an indoor pet at some point?)

So anyway, I am afraid that those nasty people will somehow figure out
she is here, and try to take her back. And given the weak, weak animal
laws in this state, they might well be able to. So... is there anyone
out there who can foster her or adopt her? I've already paid for all
her medical care, so any rescue or adopter who could take her will get
a healthy dog, who only needs some extra food to become a beautiful,
sweet, calm, perfect little companion. If you can help, email me at
menziecampbell at gmail.com.

For pics of Millie, see here:
http://www.dropshots.com/MenzieC#albums/Millie

For a video of her "patrolling" the yard, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUg9ll2kps

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!