[Dailydrool] Dog Who Won't Eat Dogfood...

Lilie Basset Liliebasset at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 17:46:29 PDT 2009

Matt Gold said, "He'll eat anything other than dog food."

I faced a similar problem when I switched the girls to a new dog food -
Flint River Ranch.  It's supposed to be fed in smaller amounts than they
were used to, and we'd always just left kibble out for them to munch as they
wished.

With the new food, I figured that Daffodil would eat the majority because
she's very fond of eating - and it doesn't matter what.  Lilie would always
wait until the humans had dinner just in case Daddy would begin to cook for
her again (BAD Daddy to have started that).  She turned her nose up at any
"Dog Food", even if I tried to feed them canned food and acted like it was
people food.

When I got the new food, I opened the bag, held up a handful and asked if
they wanted a treat.  SURE!  They thought it was great.  Then I began to
throw it onto the floor.  They loved being fed treats.  No dog food in a dog
bowl...just treats that Mom spread out for them to eat.

Now they actually ask for it twice a day.  Early in the morning I'm reminded
that it's treat time - and in the late afternoon or early evening.

I love my dogs.  Two basset hounds and a Yorkie.  They are SO easy to trick.
By the way, they clean up the floor completely.

Give it a try.  No dog food bowl on the floor!  Half of the dog food would
end up on the floor anyway...let me know it if works.

Katie