[Dailydrool] Looziana Basset Rescue: Please help Rutherford

Desiree Richard dlrichard14 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 14:08:25 PDT 2009

Please help Rutherford. He was hit by a motorcycle on the night of Sunday, June 21. The person on the motorcycle sped off, leaving Rutherford bleeding on the highway. Someone in a car behind the motorcycle witnessed this atrocity and stopped to help poor Rutherford by taking him to an animal shelter about an hour from New Orleans. Looziana Basset Rescue, Inc. was contacted and picked him up from the shelter; surgery was done last week to try to save his shattered front leg.

The surgery was done by a veterinarian who specializes in orthopedics. We won't know for a couple of weeks whether or not the surgery was successful and that he's free of infection. In addition to this trauma, Rutherford's ear was ripped in half horizontally and his face has gashes. He is in good hands now but this type of orthopedic surgery costs over two thousand dollars.  We have also found out that he's heartworm positive and he'll begin treatment next week.

Rutherford is a young, gorgeous, and very sweet dog and we truly believe that we should give him a chance. It was not his fault that his irresponsible guardian did not properly contain him. No collar or microchip was found and the owner has not tried to find him. If you are able to donate, please go to www.bayoubassets.petfinder.org and scroll down to the DONATE button.  It will come through to us as a general donation so please email Leslie at QueenB534 at aol.com if you have any specific requests regarding your donation
or you can mail a donation to LBR, PO BOX 1315, HARVEY LA  70059. Any amount would be wonderful. Rutherford is also in need of a foster home while his leg and other wounds are healing.

As always, we greatly appreciate your support of our wonderful hounds.