[Dailydrool] Need to vent (sorry long)

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 14:12:31 PDT 2009

Some of you may remember a couple of months back my neighbours complained my dogs "barked constantly" when I left them. I was surprised as they never made a sound when I left the house and I never heard them kicking off when I came home.
However, I immediately changed my routines, bought anti bark collars and never left the dogs alone after 6pm, even with their spray collars on, because I didn't want to upset said neighbours.

Yesterday, these same neighbours got a dog of their own. They took it home and put it in their small garden. And left it there. It barked. And barked. It barked non stop from when it was shut in the garden at 1pm until I went and knocked on their door at 10pm, asking if they were leaving it out all night, as my daughter had an exam the next day and needed sleep (their garden is under her bedroom window).
So they put it in the garden shed, where it continued barking, but not as loudly.

Mr Neighbour goes to work at 4am. Just before he left, he let the dog back out into the garden where it barked non stop and was still barking when I left for work at 8.30am feeling pretty tired and cross. I rang my daughter in the afternoon and asked if the dog was still barking. She said it had started when she let our two outside for a comfort break, but the man had started "really hitting it", so she hadn't let ours out again, in case the man beat the dog again.

This evening I went to their house to talk about the dog. I was all ready to offer advice (starting with let it in the house and don't beat it) and tell them the cheapest place to get bark collars and the best local training schools etc. But no, Mrs Neighbour said she was "sending him back". Not just because he barked, but heaven forbid - he poos too! She hates to see poo in her garden and so was going to send him back tonight (It was after 6pm).
Turns out they had another dog a couple of weeks ago - a tiny puppy, but she couldn't be bothered with all the work - and poo, so she sent him back too.
All is quiet now. I do not know where she sent him back to at that time of night, but I hope for his sake it was to a place he will find a comfortable home where he is not beaten for being bored and lonely.

Rant over.
Sleepless Sally, with Rolph and Clara (we thought he looked cute), UK