[Dailydrool] The ongoing Jake saga

snupnhomer at aol.com snupnhomer at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 15:53:39 PDT 2009

Hi all.
About a month ago, Jake's vet discovered Jake had a heart murmur and recommended that it might be time to consider surgery for Jake's ear. ?

I discovered that ISU vet school was doing a clinical trial for dogs with heart murmurs to prevent the onset of congestive heart failure. ?So while I was at ISU for that, I had Jake seen by the dermatologist there.

The good news: ?Jake's heart isn't bad enough to qualify for the study! (They still have openings BTW).

The bad news: ?Jake has yeast on his butt. ?Uhm...wrong end but ok. ?I'll leave out the aggrevation (couldn't find the appointment, they didn't think I needed to speak with dermatologist, insisting tests be re-run, not reading his file, insinuating my vet didn't know what she was doing...uh...you get the idea) ?Jake has e. coli in both ears now. ?AND!!! it is a highly resistant strain. ?So the ISU vet is concocting some frozen drug for Jake ears (that is a saga in itself). ?The best part....she went on this big long spiel about how oral antibiotics are ineffective for ear infections. ?Today she called and prescribed oral antibiotics because of concern the infection is in his middle ear. ?oh the irony. ?

Jake is going to be seen at University of Illinois- Urbana-Champagne next for a follow-up and possible allergy testing.

Tina and Jake (PS does anyone know where I can get Simplicef cheap?)