[Dailydrool] Traveling bassets

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Jul 16 06:27:04 PDT 2009

When we were young (since we're both almost eligible for Medicare, that was a long time ago!), Bill was in the Air Force, stationed in the Philippines in a support role for the soldiers in Viet Nam. I joined him over there and we lived in the PI for a couple of years. While there, I saw an ad in the base newspaper for a basset hound/german shepherd mix puppy, so we went to "look" at them (yeah, right). We came home with 7-week-old Maggie, who looked mostly basset - her mother was a real basset.

Anyway, we flew Maggie back to the states when she was 9 months old, to California. After that, she traveled to Ohio, covering all the states on the way from Los Angeles to Dayton, went to Pennsylvania many times, New Jersey, New York, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, up to Canada and across westward through provinces Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. (We have traveled widely around the world since then, and still think the Banff and Jasper national parks are the most beautiful places we've ever seen.) We then came down through Washington and Oregon, and settled once again in California, where Maggie lived with us in several houses in Northridge and in Huntington Beach. She went everywhere with us - our saying was that if you invited us, you got Maggie, whether it was for dinner or for the weekend.

Thanks for the memories :)

Nancy, currently owned by Sweet Ol' Sarah and Frank the Tank
Keswick, Virginia