[Dailydrool] Traveling Bassets

Phil Guinn guinnirish at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 18:53:38 PDT 2009

The absolute love of my life, Jake, turned 8 June 5th and come August 3rd we will have been constant companions for 8 years.  We went to our first waddle sponsored by Mid-America Basset Rescue in late April or early May the following year in St. Joseph Missouri some 300 miles away and that started our real ventures together. We got involved in basset hound rescue.

We haven't got a lot of states under our belt and harness but he has ridden shotgun for some 77,000 miles going to waddles but mostly running basset hounds all over Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas with some major side trips to Texas and Tennessee. The front passenger seat is "propped" up for Jake so he can sit up just right and see out and most of the time with his nose out the window and his chin resting on the door weather permitting.  I have to be careful and buy a car with the arm rest just right so he can put his front paws on it and see out to best advantage!  He actually prefers 60/40 front seats because his bucket (80lbs) don't fit well in most bucket seats. We take care of gwanny (90) and when she or anyone else rides with us they have to sit in the back seat.

Along the way we picked up a foster failure brother (Maxx) and now a sister (Myrtle) that adopted us so on rare occasion when we have a load two stay home and only one gets to go with daddy. We fairly rotate but seldom have to do that.

Jake is the founder of Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue, Inc. he started back in 2003 and has been a dedicated Chairman of the Board ever since. I am so sure of his miles because I have kept a log for income tax purposes and you know I wouldn't fudge the IRS.  Hm?  Maybe we had better make that 70,000 miles?

Phil Guinn
Jake, Maxx & Myrtle