[Dailydrool] George pano/elbow surgery

Emma Welsh emma.welsh3 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 16 14:47:42 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Today we had very good news.

Took Georgie to a different vet. He spent 30 minutes watching Georgie walking/running around, and then gave him a complete examination.

He said that although the dog does have a very slight limp in his left leg he does not think that surgery would be recommended at his young age. He thinks that Georgie is experiencing "growing pains" as he is very big for a 7 month old. He recommended waiting for a few months to see if Georgie was in pain or the limp worsened. He said that xrays may show a weakness in the elbow joint but this is often the case in Bassets,

He said that elbow surgery in Bassets was counterproductive and would lead to more surgery. He actually said "Do not let the surgeons near him thay are money grabbing b********* , there is nothing wrong with that dog he is just having a rapid growth spurt!"

I am so happy I saw this vet. He is over 80 years old and has had over 50 years of dealing with Bassets. Only got to see him as a favour from a relative of his.

Emma