[Dailydrool] Anal glands

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 09:54:06 PDT 2009

Mango has had hers flushed 3 times now, two weeks apart. They irrigate the glands with an antibiotic/steroid solution. She has not had any sedation or anesthesia and been fine with it. Unfortunately, this last time the vet found a mass on the left gland. We don't know if he just couldn't feel it because of the infection/inflammation before or if it is new. We will check again in two weeks. If it is growing, it is likely cancer. If it is the same we will just watch it. I'm not sure yet, but I don't think I will put her through any more  surgery. It has been one procedure after another for 4 months now. I want her to have some comfortable, happy times, and cross to the Bridge with dignity. I just can't see flogging her little body any more. But, we'll see what we find out in two weeks.

Anyway, yes, anals can are flushed and not medication or sedation is required.

Synthia et al