[Dailydrool] Anal Sacs Etc ...

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Fri Jul 17 10:16:27 PDT 2009

> Ok Droolers, I need some advice here,  I called my vet today, Maggie  is do
> for her allergy shot, any ways, I asked if FLUSHING her anal glands was a
> possibility before we decided on the surgery,  Hi reply was
> "  I have never heard of that procedure " DUH  he is a Vet  ??? now this
> is scary, tell me if I am imagining the post of the droolers about  having
> the anal glands flushed ???????? is it called something else ?

Zack came very close to having the anal sac surgery last year. The more the anal sacs are manually expressed, the more they rely on this to empty. After about $1,100.00 in tests and elimination diets, Zack's anal sac problem cleared up. He was terribly allergic to the BEEF treats I was giving him every day and they were causing his anal sacs to gum up, not express and thus, get infected. Of course, then, there was the additional $900.00 to remove the five teeth that had this strange buildup of BEEF gunk in the gums, causing swelling, pain and infection, not to mention the dollars spent trying to rid him of a skin Staph infection. Anal sac surgery is very tricky. If the nerves are compromised, the bowels become incontinent. I had that with Oliver ATB naturally and did not want to relive that experience.

Concerning the term flushing, I believe that would be infusing the anal sacs directly with antibiotic. Zack had that. Zack had everything.

So, what do I do? Just because I am annoyed with the pet supply company I used to work for, I decided in my stupidity to try to change Zack and Sky over to a dog food that is available at another chain of pet supply stores here. I began very slowly last Saturday. It took five days for both of them to drive me around the bend with licking, scratching, biting, flapping and being generally miserable. This occured on California Natural Lamb and Rice. There goes the single protein, single carb, whole grain theory out the window. I should practice what I used to preach to all my customers .... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, yesterday, when Zack's hair started to fall out in bunches, I went back to his Canidae Lamb and Rice. Sky is back on Solid Gold Hundenflocken with a sea meal supplement. So what if this costs us Winnipeggers twice as much as it does our neighbors to the South.

Why is it that I pay forty dollars for fifteen pounds, times two, plus taxes every six weeks or so? Free trade? I think not. I have discussed this with the Canidae Rep for Canada. I have not as yet discussed it with the Solid Gold folks. I am going down to North Dakota next weekend. I will check out prices there.

I seem to be rambling.

Have a nice weekend everyone .... Laurie, Zack and Sky