[Dailydrool] Boomer's ear pain

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sat Jul 18 21:06:22 PDT 2009

You might have dislodged some wax and now its intermittently touching part
of his ear canal and ... well like that itch you can never scratch yourself,
is driving him nutty..

If ... **if** there has been no previous issues, no hidden problems
(infections, etc) or he's been cleared by the vetman for a while (8 to 12
months from last issue with ears in any form) you should be safe using
something like Epi-Optic ear cleaner... its available at the vets, probably
on line too, and they make something like it available in the pets* types
stores.. and probably at walmart too (you may have one of these available in
the 24 hour variety near you)

If in a pinch, you could mix up some room temp or slightly warmer water,
with some apple cider vinegar 50/50 mix, pour it in his ear, trying to keep
him still ... let it sit for as long as possible (1 or 2 mins) ... and then
if you have a thin tshirt or older thin pillow case, you can use a finger
inside such cloth to gently insert into the ear canal and very very lightly
rub around... this serves three purposes, ... one you might get that itch
for him, two, you will dislodge additional gunk (if any) and it will come
out.. and three, the cloth helps soak up the excess solution so you don't
have it dripping along the inside of the ear or side of his face.

The reason I say *if*, and why I'm cautious about it, is putting anything
into a houndy ear is potentially bad.. and if there is even a slight chance
for an opening in the ear drum, anything getting in there like this could
cause much more damage.  I would generally expect a hound with such issues
to be more on the chronic condition side, rather than just suddenly, but you
never know!!

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Boomer's ear pain

Boomer was okay all day until around three. He was laying in my lap in my
recliner. I started to rub his right ear like he likes, and he whined in
pain. Ever since then, he occasionally shakes his head like there is
something stuck in it. I am not sure what to do, there's no blood, no
swelling, it's just sore.