[Dailydrool] genetic anamoly

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Mon Jul 20 06:35:51 PDT 2009

Actually, you are both right.  the Basset is an achondroplastic dwarf
AND he was selectively bred for that gene.  All breed characteristics
start out as a mutation in a gene that is then selected for in
breeding.  As an oversimplification, Old King Cole has a pack of
hounds with which he hunts his deer from his hunting lodge.  His
kennel-man has been breeding selectively for good noses and these hounds
are tremendous.  However, Old King Cole has called for his bowl a few
to many times, and because of his girth can no longer get up on his horse
and needs to hunt on foot.  Unfortunately, his wonderful hounds rush
on ahead of him and leave him in their dust.  Trusty Kennel-man to
the rescue.  He notices a puppy in a litter with the deformity of an
achondroplastic dwarf - the shortened long bones and therefore short
legs.  This is a genetic anamoly and he would normally have destroyed
this deformed puppy.  However, he had a brainstorm.  With his
short legs, this hound would be slower on the trail.  He still has
that wonderful nose of his long-legged littermates but he just cant keep
up with  him.  The kennel-man selects for this characteristic
and breeds this dwarf dog to several of the long-legged bitches with
wonderful noses and sure enough, some of the offspring are also
short-legged.  He continues to select for this characteristic and
Voila!  Old King Cole has a pack of short legged basset hounds he can
follow on foot.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at

www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at
www.bbrescue.org

> Send Dailydrool mailing list submissions
> dailydrool at dailydrool.org
>
> To subscribe
or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> dailydrool-request at dailydrool.org
>
> You can
reach the person managing the list at

dailydrool-owner at dailydrool.org

> When replying,
please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than
"Re: Contents of Dailydrool digest..."

\ \_______| \ .: O
> \ ##| | \__/
> | ####\__/ \
> / / ## \|
> / /__________\ \
> L_JJ \__JJ
> ------------------------------------
>
> Daily
Drool Website:
> http://www.dailydrool.com
> ***2010
Daily Drool Calendar***

http://www.cecilgraphics.com/DD2010/calendar.php

Fundraising Information:

http://www.esthermstrom.com/A55B3D/ddFunds.nsf/byGroup?Open

http://mysite.verizon.net/msrandolph/

> Vote for
basset of the week:

http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/

> Old Daily Drool Archives:

http://oldarchives.dailydrool.org/dailydrool/

Today's Topics:

> 1. Re: Elder Hounds ----I just have
to say (Phil Guinn)
> 2. Move completed! (Jaclyn Chancey)
> 3. Elwood Rock Eater (Kristin Mielke)
> 4. Re: Basset
Dwarfs (Tara D'Lutz)
> 5. Re: Small world department (Esther
Strom)
> 6. Elwood & Seniors (Jessica Shiepko)
> 7.
Drool for Newman D (dke)
> 8. Re: Evil Lemon Basset and Elwood
(Tara D'Lutz)
> 9. California Natural, Laurie (Muriel Fiona
Napier)
> 10. Drool for our NICKI (Marsdoxy2 at aol.com)

11. cysts (beckyandgeorgie)
> 12. adopting seniors
(IOWABASSETRESCUE)

Brudder Elwood Update (basetsavr5 at aol.com)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:23:44
-0500

From: "Phil Guinn"
<guinnirish at cox.net>
Hounds ----I just have to say
> To:
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> Well said
Wendie and thank you for bringing up the subject.

> We
at Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue are struggling with just the problems
> you pointed out. We have been completely over ran with request for

> relinquishments and by shelters calling with basset hounds
found in houses
> and in backyards abandoned by the owners when
they moved. It absolutely
> makes me sick at the number of times
a week now I have to say, "No room in
> the inn," as
the Intake Coordinator, a position I recently relieved Sherry

Faulkner of so she could maintain her sanity (another story-snicker). I

> promise you we go to bed at night and can't sleep for
remembering the
> hounds we COULD NOT SAVE that day and days
past.

> The only way OMBR can take in a senior now is
if we know one of the few
> basset hound senior homes out there,
like Wendi and Marilyn run, have an
> opening (those involved are
now laughing) or if I had a foster home that
> realized the
senior would be there a long time before adoption and
> probably
permanent and would still foster another basset hound. We are so
> grossly short of foster homes now for the young and healthy we are
only
> saving maybe 20% of those needing help. Now that is sad
and really hard to
> take on a daily basis.

We all need foster homes. Most of these babies are of little trouble and

> they are so grateful to have a warm/cool bed, regular food and
love that
> it is worth the costs and effort to share their lives
until they get a
> good forever homes. Please consider fostering
and save some basset hounds

--------------

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/eeec29ba/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 2

From: Jaclyn Chancey <jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com>

Subject: [Dailydrool] Move completed!
<460dbcbd0907171030p8cdad53lb71194acc8e009c1 at mail.gmail.com>

> I'm a bit behind on Drools. I just wanted to send a quick
update on my
> crew.
> We have successfully moved
everyone the 1200 miles from Tuscaloosa,
> Alabama
Willimantic, Connecticut! Yay! Everyone's getting settled in nicely ...

> although unpacking never seems to go as quickly as you think it
should.
> Josh
> and Abbie think that we should skip
some of the unpacking and put up their
> fence so they can spend
more time sunning themselves outside without being
> on leash. :)

> We did end up using a pet moving company. We don't even have a
car big
> enough to handle two dogs and four cats, not to mention
the patience! So
(http://www.onepawatatime.com) to handle the
> children while
Will and I drove the huge UHaul towing a car. Cherie and
> Susan
were so good with them! I highly recommend them for anyone moving on
> the east coast. They also mentioned that they do some rescue
transporting
> and would like to do more, depending on their
schedules. :) I really
> appreciated them being a smaller company
and a bit more flexible than some
> of the larger ground
services. Please e-mail me off-list if you want of
> need
> any more info.
>
> Also, a note about my name: I
didn't bother changing it back after my
> divorce last year. It
was such a pain changing it the first time! But I
> decided a
move to another state was a good time to do it, and I needed to

have a name that I could (hopefully) publish under as part of my Ph.D.
> work.
> So Whitehorn is out and Chancey is back and I'm
practicing my old/new
> signature again. :)

If there are any Droolers in the area, please drop me a
> line.
Playdates are good, and I'm also hoping to start more rescue

volunteering once my schedule gets more stable in the fall.

We're really looking forward to Josh and Abbie's New England debut at
> Woofstock in September!
>
> Hope everyone is
doing well. I'll now work on getting caught back up on my
> Drool
news.

> Jaclyn
> with Abbie, Josh, and the
cats
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML
attachment was scrubbed...
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/a8301981/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 3

From: Kristin Mielke <kristin.mielke063 at sympatico.ca>

Subject: [Dailydrool] Elwood Rock Eater
> To:
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> Elwood,
>

> Dis
here Hushmouse...enarf with dey rocks man...eat da slaves ipod...me
> did, went right on trew da pipe...still wrks...slave still listens
to it
> while running.
>
> Drooling fer ya
broder...me ate whole pound of procuitto dad slave left
> fer moi
on da counter dis morning..yummmmmmmmm

> Hushy
>
> Mom (yup, give lotsa of bread,,,check poop, consult
route to emergencey
> vet just in case, check the bank book,
yep..been there)
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/17d81ad1/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 4

From: "Tara D'Lutz" <taranoeld at aol.com>

Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] Basset Dwarfs
dailydrool at dailydrool.org

> I didn't like that article, and thought it was rather
pejorative-Dwarfs
> indeed!? Bassies and Corgis are wonderful
dogs- and to my knowledge, they
> were purposely bred that way,
and not a mere genetic anomaly.

> What do you all
think?

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/a708799f/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 5

From: Esther Strom <esthermstrom at yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] Small world department

hounds and their people." <dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> It's an even smaller world than you think... Elizabeth, whom
I've actually
> never met, is the sister of one of my co-workers,
and she runs the
> boarding facility of the doggie day care that
Basil will go to if he ever
> needs to be boarded.
>
> Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB

grown stepdaughter, who lives in Chicago, wrote to me today to let me
> know that two of her friends are raising money for Guardian Angel
Basset
> Rescue, and are the proud owners of three bassets
themselves. Their link
http://www.firstgiving.com/robertandelizabethcastrejon, which features
> a great picture of their basset. So, Robert and Elizabeth, are you

> droolers?
>
> Bo and Harley send ono drool
Brudder Elwood's way--stop eating
> undigestible stuff!
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:58:14
-0700 (PDT)

From: Jessica Shiepko
<jesspic5 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Dailydrool] Elwood &
Seniors
> To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org

> Brianna here:? Elwood, Lily is producing lots n lots of drool
(Tiffany and
> I are not too into drooling, but we'll try to
muster some up).? But you
> really shouldn't eat rocks.? Besides
they are ouchie, there is no
> embarrassment factor!? Eat
something that will turn the slaves pink when
> they have to tell
the vet.? A few years ago I decided to climb up on the
> toilet
bowl and steal a (new) tampon out of a box.? I took it to the

bedroom, and proceeded to unwrap it and eat the wrapper.? Then I chewed on

> the cardboard.? When the mom came out of the shower she saw me
on the bed,
> surrounded by cardboard, with a string sticking out
of my mouth.? Before
> she could get out the "drop it"
I swallowed!!!? She was sooooo embarassed
> to have to call the
vet and explain, she tried to not give her name or my
> breed (I
was the only basset they saw and she worked there), but was

forced to.? So, Elwood, if you MUST eat something you're not supposed to

> (which we hope
> you won't), eat something to turn
mommy pink.?
> ?
> Feel better Elwood,

Brianna
> ?
> Senior bassets:? While we are looking
forward to our houndies living to a
> ripe old age, we know that
in all probability one or two might?go to the
> bridge before?we
move again.? The he-slave wants a puppy, I am SO DONE
> with
puppy antics, they're cute, but HARD WORK!!!!? Even though we've been
> out of 'puppy-ness' for a few years, and I do have many happy
memories, I
> don't want a puppy.??So we decided, one puppy, one
senior.? I want an?old
> cuddly hound with a droopy gray face.?
I'd love one now and?if we were in
> a position to I'd take in an
old man.? Bassets are so rare out here that
> people will stop
their cars when I'm walking the girls and ask if I breed
> them.?
I've had people say that?I could've?made a lot of money breeding
> the girls (I REALLY try to not bite their heads off).? I wish I
could take
> some of those hounds in hound-saturated
areas...wishful thinking.???
> ?
> Finally, lots and
lots of?no "C" drool to Newman D.? Good luck!!!!
> ?

> Jessica w/ Brianna, Tiffany, Lily, and the 4felines.
>

> Take a peek at?our?hound-a-licious
bassets & 4felines.? Brianna

http://www.dogster.com/?89632?Smug?http://www.catster.com/?91011?(with

http://www.dogster.com/?260467?Lily http://www.dogster.com/?260476?

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/6837e173/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 7

From: dke <ellathebasset at hotmail.com>
> Subject:
[Dailydrool] Drool for Newman D
> To: Daily Drool
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> Janice,
>
> We are sending special drools for you and Newman D. I
know these next
> days will be hard. Many of us have been there
and know what you are going
> through waiting for some answers.
Please take care of yourself and give
> Newman D a special hug
for all of us.

> Diane and Ella Louise

> Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.

> An HTML
attachment was scrubbed...
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/127b791c/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 8

From: "Tara D'Lutz" <taranoeld at aol.com>

Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] Evil Lemon Basset and Elwood
dailydrool at dailydrool.org

> Drool for Elwood-please keep us posted!

laughed out loud at the antics of the "evil lemon basset"-I sent
it to
> Wally's dad, of course, so we could commiserate-I just
want to hug that
> sweet girl!
>
> Tara, slave
to Wally, the "Brad Pitt of Bassets", and Capt. Jack, the evil

> pug.
>
> PS-when he last visited, Wally had
what we think was a fit of epilepsy,
> which was very
frightening.? I know this topic was covered some time ago,
> but
if anyone with experience could e-mail me personally, as I can't read
> every Drool, I'd be thankful

> An HTML attachment was
scrubbed...
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/37220b42/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 9

From: "Muriel Fiona Napier" <allears at rogers.com>
> Subject: [Dailydrool] California Natural, Laurie
> To:
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> ".I
began very slowly last Saturday. It took five days for both of them to
> drive me around the bend with licking, scratching, biting, flapping
and
> being generally miserable. This occured on California
Natural Lamb and
> Rice.
> There goes."
>

> Interestingly, I had exactly the same
experience with this food. When
> Canidae changed their formula
last year, I switched Bertie to the
> California

Natural Lamb and Rice, preferring him to be on the "Limited
Ingredient"
> type
> of diet because of major
allergy issues that seem to be in his bloodline.
> Disaster! .
skin issues (make that a capital S) soon became evident . he

was
> not a happy Basset. And given the ingredients listed on the
CN bag, there
> shouldn't have been any problems; Bertie had been
on the Canidae Lamb and
> Rice for about two years before they
changed it, so I'm almost certain it
> wasn't the lamb. There had
to be *something* in the California Natural
> that
> was
causing a real allergic reaction.

> Long story shortened . I became virtually cross-eyed reading
ingredient
> lists of most major dry dog foods, but could never
identify one item that
> could conceivably be the culprit. In the
end, the Natural Balance Duck and
> Potato seemed to have the
simplest formulation, with fewest ingredients.
> So

that is what I settled on (for both Bonnie and Bertie) and have seen no

> problems since.
>

> As
far as dog food prices here in Canada are concerned, I echo Laurie's
> lament. Believe me, they are absolutely ludicrous compared to the
same
> food's cost in the US. Free trade? Ha!
>

> Muriel Fiona Napier
>
> t:
519.362.1275

--------------

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/72ddfbd1/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 10

From: Marsdoxy2 at aol.com
> Subject: [Dailydrool] Drool for our
NICKI
> To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org
>
> My sisters Basset who
is 13 1/2 has suddenly gotten very sick, we rushed
> her to the
vet and they are keeping her to do test. Nicki is the basset

who
> had her spleen removed 2 years ago. My sister is a basket
case, she
> just
> got her husband Terry home from open
heart surgery and now this has
> happened. It doesn't look good,
all the very same symptoms that my
> Basset Lucy

displayed before we sent her to the bridge, Please keep her in your
> prayers. we are all very sad
>
> Marlene mommy to
Maggie wags and Evil Annie and Auntie to Nicki and

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823307x1201398715/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=

--------------

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/7b688548/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 11

From: "beckyandgeorgie" <beckyandgeorgie at shaw.ca>

> Subject: [Dailydrool] cysts
> To:
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> Dazey our first basset leading to others had cysts on her leg
before
> six months. She also got addisons but vet had to remove
them. They
> were just fat cysts. Last one required a cut around
her neck with a
> tube hanging out. She was given a special
aneasthic too
> Becky didn't get as many but a few.

Dazey's were last taken off at age 9 at which time vet said she

wouldn't put her out again
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/c946e8bf/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 12

From: "IOWABASSETRESCUE" <IOWAHOUNDS at cableone.net>

> Subject: [Dailydrool] adopting seniors
> To:
<dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> reply-type=original
>
> Whats a senior folks?
Well IABR has 2 twin female seniors they both act
> like they are
1 or younger again they chew, they drool, they both like to

waddle, chase flies when they are around. and they keep the pups in line

> here.. I'm not for sure what seniors means here at IABR.. If
you would
> like
> to read on them they are on our
petfinder site. Miss Honey has had her
> siss
> removed
and no cancer found. Miss Honey and Miss Flashie are both UTD and
> ready for a senior life. Miss Honey will tell you all no Puppies
aload
> PLEASE they keep taking my stuff and I am not going to
tolerate pretty
> darn
> soon.
> Cindy with all
the IOWAHOUNDS

------------------------------

From:
Karen <sparks_red at att.net>
> Subject: Re: [Dailydrool]
California Natural, Laurie
> To: "An internet mail list
designed to entertain and inform basset
> hounds and their
people." <dailydrool at dailydrool.org>

> My babies were on CA. Natural for almost 2 years.?
tried putting Abby the allergy gal on the Lamb and Rice
> and she
had the same reaction.?? I had a drooler suggest
> that the lamb
and rice might be too hot for her.? When I switched her to
> the
Chicken and Rice she did fine until the bag changed to a smaller
> size.? I don't know if they changed the suppliers of the
ingredients but
> all the kidz started having tummy issues.? I
could never get an answer
> from Ca Natural which was strange as
they always would call or email
<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/2d9d3733/attachment-0001.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 14

From: Noah Goslowah <handsomehounds at yahoo.com>
dailydrool at dailydrool.org

> Dear Bob the Dog,
> ?
> Lots of dogs
is coming for the Oregon Basset Hound Games and the Waddle.?

Lots of dogs is coming for dinner at Saturday night!? So rest up tonight

> so you can waddle through the Woodburn Co. Stores tomorrow.?
Don't forget
> your crown!?
> ?
> Thanks for
all your fundraising efforts!? You're the best.
> ?

Roland,

--------------

<http://lists.dailydrool.org/pipermail/dailydrool-dailydrool.org/attachments/20090717/0b1d192b/attachment.htm>

> ------------------------------

Message: 15

From: basetsavr5 at aol.com
> Subject: [Dailydrool] Brudder
Elwood Update
> To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org

> Momma here. We are still on poop patrol. Doc called
first thing this
> morning and said drag Elwood on in. So, off we
go, X-rays confirm the
> chunk. It's located in the small
intestines, and we are on watch mode,
> hopeful that it will make
its way down and out the tailpipe.? Elwood was
> in full go mode
and no worse for wear during his visit, in fact he was
> better
than normal, as he allowed the girls to take the x-rays without

being knocked out. Doc said that if he can pass it it will cause some
> issue as the edges are not rounded. So, next to the back door are
paper
> plates and plastic forks. Elwood has now made 2 trips out
to do his duty,
> with me in hot pursuit with the equipment.
Neighbors have now decided we
> are totally nuts, as I mash poop
on paper plates. We are kind of expecting
"action" this weekend,----of course a weekend--. So we are
> hoping the drool will move this on out, we will keep you posted.

> I have also located the victim of all this. I had a small bird
house-a
> decorative thing in the fenced off area around the bay
window. It had a
> ceramic bottom. I found it in the bush this
morning, the bottom gone. It
> must of blown against the house in
a storm and broke, but then this
> afternoon another happening. I
was in my office, working to catch up from
> taking time for the
vet visit, and I heard Jake go out the dog door. My
> office
window is above the back patio, and dog door. Jake is now barking,
> a different bark-I look and on the patio-under his nose-is
> something-something blue and he is all about this. I ran, all I
could
> think of was Jake eating something and double trouble.
Well out the door I
> go, and shoo Jake away-Elwood is now on
scene also---and much to my
> suprise, a half of a robins egg is
on the patio. No bird, no feathers, and
> Jake had nothing to
say.
> So here we are, we know what and where it is with Elwood,
and we know
> drool works many miracles. We also hope Newman gets
a good report and we
> drool for him and anyone else that needs
it.

> We will keep up the poop report, paws crossed.

> Thank you all for thinking of us--
>

> Debbie Winchester
> Official Food Slave and Drool Mop
Queen to