[Dailydrool] Otis's glaucoma

Linda Dianis ldianis at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 16:48:05 PDT 2009

I have not reported in on Otis and his eye problems. The news isn't
good. He lost all vision in his right eye and the ophthalmologist
recommended the intravitreal injection of gentocin to kill off the
fluid production and lower the pressure. That way he could at least
keep his eye.
We had that done and Otis spent 16 DAYS wearing one of those godawful
elizabethan collars. What a nightmare for a buppy with short legs.
When he returned for his postop, the collar came off, but his pressure
is still at 30. He does not seem to have pain at all, but the doc
thinks the pressure could go either up or down, and considers the
procedure partly-failed, something that RARELY (he ests. about 2%)
happens.

Our options: First, wait 4 weeks for a recheck. Then, if pressure is
up, either repeat the procedure (at FULL COST), with of course no way
to know if it will work this time, and/or enucleation or evisceration,
which we might have to face anyway in case a redo fails too. (Mucho
mucho $$).
Also have been told that the insertion of drainage shunts to relieve
pressure in his remaining eye will not be attempted UNTIL he exhibits
pressure spikes in that eye; and the chances of that happening are
huge but also may be disguised. This troubles me a lot. It does not
seem right, and the stakes are high. He only has one vision/eye left.
We are distressed, do not know what to do. Does anyone have any input
or advice about this?
Please send drool and prayers to drop those pressure numbers.
Linda, with Otis (wag) and Nelly (Otis lost his neck-weapon, but where
is Winston?)