[Dailydrool] moles

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:02:42 PDT 2009

Moles are a big a pest as mice.  They dig up your yard with tunnels that can cause you to trip and turn an ankle.  They also manage to hold their own nicely so that all the dogs mostly do is harrass them similar to herding dogs harassing geese whose flock has become too large and a health hazzard.  The cats used to do the moleing for us .  One older male would catch one and dump it in the driveway for the 2 kittens we had at the time.  What a lot of screeching!  We saved one or two, unappreciative little things, until
 the older cat found a less noticable place for hunting lessons.  When Buttercup was a puppy we still had our 2 mutts, one, Francie would try to dig up whatever was living in our backyard.  Buttercup would follow her around and one time helped her dig, dig, dig and up popped a thing, not a mole, maybe a gopher, although I thought they were fatter.  There, in front of me, 2 dogs and a cat, the critter popped up and sped away, unharmed, to the wood pile.  We were all too astonished that Francie's endeavors actually yeilded something to move.  I do not like to see my pets catch and kill the wildlife, I have attempted to save many a bird, bunny  or whatever that they, mostly the cats catch.  I chased a bird around my dinging room that one of the catsbrought in knowing my intent to remove it from the jaws of death.  That was one lucky bird, he flew into an empty cardboard box and I managed to get it outside where it demonstrated its good health by flying in my face and onward to freedom.  2 of my cats were strays and refuse to be indoor cats unless they feel like it.  They are wuite firm on this matter.  GW (his coloring, gray and white) was not going to be our cat until some bites he had got infected and he cost us about $800 at the emergancy vets.  His hair still does not grow in that area giving him a lopsided look.  We tell him what an expensive cat he is, a BMW of cats.  He rewadedme, for the longest time with headless baby bunnies, which I churlishly threw away outside of the fence so they did not get brout in by the less squeamish fammily members.   Then he stated to bring me whole dead bunnies, presuming I wanted the entire bunny to myself.  When they got likewise discarded he brought me the  bunny still moving.  These I would put in a box with a little bit of food and water,  they usually died and got discarded.  Disgusted GW no longer presented me with his little love gifts.  He did present himself infrome of the glass door with a largish mouse in his momuth and when I opened the door, he swallowed it, still moving its tail, last like spaghetti.  So, over the years I have decided some critters are abundent and prey and I cannot save them all and trying to save some of them has had mixed results, mice, for instance can multiply and do not get the himt when you simply take them away from your home, they return and multiply, everywhere.  A free for all mole hunt may scare the critters but catching the nasty thing is unlikely.  Francie and Buttercup had a great time.  I think the gopher or whatever still lives in the backyard though. Sue K.  Momperson to Buttercup(It was huge!), Beau (If I had been ther I would have caught it)  and Honey (Can we find it again?)  and the clawed one GW (I wan't in the mood and gophers taste nasty) Jordy (I prefer birds) and LOki (You never let me have any fun!) and Mickey, the cockateil (You guys better keep your paws out of my cage)