[Dailydrool] scabies mange

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 04:08:24 PDT 2009

Hello,

I myself have had scabies (the trouble with working with patients in a hospital is you sometimes catch their "stuff"), and it is INCREDIBLY itchy, but fairly easy to treat.  Both myself and the husband had to be treated as well as all 3 dogs.  No one else contracted these yucky bugs, but all were treated at the sametime, for  humans you get a permethrin lotion and apply, my vet prescribed oral liquid ivermectin I believe (this happened about 3 yrs ago), the dogs got about 1ml once a week for a month (4 doses per dog).  I threw away all pillows, and mattres pads, any other household "fabrics" were put into bags with the air vaccuumed out and left for 2 weeks in the basement, luckily I have leather couches, so no worries there, just cleaned as usual.  I would ask your vet for the preventative, none of my boys had any troubles with the doses.  Good luck, and I itch just thinking about it!

Also, for a human the first outbreak will show 6 weeks after infestation, the classic pattern is a rows or trails of little bumps in the infested area.

Drool to all in need

Karen, Rosco, Lemmy & Stewie