[Dailydrool] and so the adventure begins...

Kate bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:16:35 PDT 2009

I think Baxter knows something is up. He was really quiet last night and
this morning. My mom distracted him so I could get Boomer out the door to
leave. She said Baxter went in his crate with his head down and ate the
kibble in his kong. Poor guy. We have our own little outing tonight, so I
hope that will lift his spirits a bit.

As for Boomer, he wasn't happy to see the vet staff this morning. They had
to carry him to the back because he went flat basset and refused to budge.
Actually, he wasn't totally flat--he rolled over so they would scratch his
belly.

I just got the update from Dr. Early. Boomer has cervical vertebral
instability, or wobbler's syndrome. It is severe in the C3-4 and C4-5 areas
and mild in the C2-3 area. Options are surgery or stabilization. I'm leaning
towards stabilization; the doctor said he could get worse with the surgery,
and it could also kill him. His spinal cord is so compressed that it's
almost flat. Now I REALLY don't know what to do.

Someone posted in the pets forum on craigslist asking how much is too much
to spend on your dogs. I've hit that point. I'm fortunate that I have a good
job and make decent money; however, if it's going to cost me $3500 a year to
keep him around, I might have to rethink it. Is that selfish?

--
Peace and drool,
Kate

http://baxterandboomer.shutterfly.com/