[Dailydrool] back surgery

Pat Mayer lilygurl.pat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 04:54:26 PDT 2009

We will be sending lots of  back drool for Sarah and keep us posted on how
she's doing!

We had this about 3 years ago on our Murphy. He has deteriorating disc
disease and woke up one day and went down in the rear.  He had to have
emergency disc surgery to remove one.

The best advice we can give is to follow the doc's instructions very
closely.  We bought a plastic 'play yard/pen' at the discount store.  It
had  6 sides.  We snapped it together in the living room. Since Murph was to
be kept totally off his feet we spread a shower curtain (just in case) then
several layers of quilts  put the play yard on top of that and had his
bedding and lots of old pillows in there.  Basically if he even scooted
himself around he mostly was half reclined on bedding and pillows. He seemed
to understand that he shouldn't attempt to get up.  When he got bored one of
us would get in there too and lay there petting him or reading a book.  Dad
was in the living room a lot during the day to watch tv or read the paper.
At night someone would sleep on the sofa next to the play yard. We carried
him in and out for potty time and used a sling we made out of a beach towel
to hold his back end up so he wouldn't put any weight on his legs. It was
daunting at first but we've never regretted the time and effort it took.
We've talked to several people whose dogs have had this and didn't follow
instructions and ended up back in surgery.
Pat
--
Drool to all in need.
Luv and Kissies too.