[Dailydrool] back surgery

Patti belleheidi at msn.com
Mon Jun 22 15:43:15 PDT 2009

Valerie,

We went thru back surgery 5 years ago with Belle for the same problem.
Belle was 8-1/2 when she went thru the surgery - she is now 13-1/2.  We had
an excellent surgeon at Valley Central Emergency/Referral.  I know how
nervous you are right now.  When Belle had the surgery I called for an
update the following morning, they reported that she was up and had walked
around the table.  Every dog is different and will heal differently.  The
most important thing is to follow doctor's orders and keep Sarah Jane quiet
and on leash while she in recovering, avoid stairs if at all possible.
Luckily we live in a ranch and already had a ramp built off the back deck.
If Sarah Jane is anything like Belle she will pace herself and you will be
able to know when she is feeling better - you still can't let her over do
it.  Prior to surgery Belle would always do 'frog legs", (back legs straight
out behind her when lying on her stomach) it took about 3-4 months until she
slowly got into her favorite position.  Since the surgery we have had only 1
or 2 times when she over did it and had to do a round of prednisone but
knock on wood she is doing remarkable well for a girl her age.  Our regular
vet was and still is amazed with her recovery.

Good Luck to Sarah Jane for a quick recovery and warm thoughts to you and
Dave as you anxiously wait for it to be over.

Patti
Belle (13-1/2) and Heidi (9)