[Dailydrool] Steps...

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Tue Jun 23 06:57:28 PDT 2009

Maestro is probably getting on in years.. kinda like my riding lawn mower...
it works fine on flat ground, but when you start going up hills.. it has
problems ... even sometimes not moving at all even though the pedal is
floored ...

Its his advancing age ... arthritis, muscle weakness, less confident in
footing.. etc.. nothing will work wonders, but there will be things that can
improve his life..

Rimadyl is commonly prescribed now (try a 10 day sampling from the vetman,
if on it long term, you will want to buy it on line as its $150 for 180
tabs, or $250 + at the vets)  There are glucosamine and chondroitin
supplements, and how much these will help now after age has caught up.. its
again a trial to see...

If you have the ability to give him a way out the back door, and up a less
steep incline that would help, or if the stairs are slippery maybe
installing a rubberized runner... I was lucky in my former house, the back
steps were originally poured in the 1960's and had been sinking faster than
the house near the top of the steps, so it made the incline less steep... my
hounds had no problem navigating that.. so they'd go from downstairs to up
stairs going outside and then up and in the kitchen door...   Now I'm in a
house that has only three steps to climb out the back, and the boys don't do
the inside steps very often.

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Steps...

My name is Lyle and my hound, Maestro is having a problem.  He is very
active..

He is having a problem coming up the steps...Up to 3 days ago, he could go
up and down.Now, he will only go down.