[Dailydrool] Catching up on drools

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 22:07:30 PDT 2009

I am happy to hear that Sarah Jane is doing well and already standing after surgery!  The tip I have for you is follow all the recovery instructions to a T (which I see others have suggested too).  The best thing after spinal surgery is physical therapy but don't over do it right away.  Passive range of motion exercises (http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/massagepassiveexercises.htm) are best but as it says on the link check with your vet on specifics.  Hyrdotherapy may also be an option if it is available in your area.  Sling walking the dog is also great.  Of course I have to take this opportunity to mention that many times (not saying it is in this case bc I don't know) weight and breed are a contributing factor.  Please try to keep your hounds weight down as many times I have seen overweight hounds and dachshunds returning for another back surgery because their weight problem was not addressed.

Safe-travel drool to Colonel Dad!

Advice for Lynne: As far as the exam if they are due for rabies now I would get that done to be in order with the law.  Also get the exam to get refills as legally no doctor (human or animal) can fill meds if the patient has not been examined in the past year.  Then get the other stuff boostered in a few weeks when the next pay check comes in.  The heartworm test will be needed if they have been off the meds for more than 4 months or so but if they have been on it year-round then you can delay that with the other shots.  Of course every clinic is different and they might say you have to see a doc and pay for an exam each time but that wouldn't be very fair.  I would just space it out with each pay check.

Charley - yucky skin:  Flash has those around his chin and his paw pads and sometimes on his belly.  The food change takes at least 3-4 weeks to start to see a difference if that is part of the problem.  What you probably need is a good follicle flushing shampoo.  Flash has a problem around his paws that the hairs that are dead and supposed to fall out, but don't so there will be like 20 some hairs built up in the same follicle.  I'm sure there is a name for that but can't seem to find it.  He also gets comodones (black heads) where dirt, skin cells, etc build up and it looks dirty.  Dog shampoos with Benzoyl Peroxide like DermaBenSs and Oxydex shampoos are good but need to sit on the pet for 15 mins.

I'm so sorry to hear of Grandma Sara's passing but glad she is pain free and at peace.  Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Laura, Flash, and Ryu