[Dailydrool] Insect stings & bites

Karen Cannon klcannon at telus.net
Tue Jun 23 22:13:08 PDT 2009

Hi everyone - looking for some advice on handling bug bites.

On our usual after-dinner walk this evening, our Basset Lucie, who is 18 months old, was either stung by a wasp or bitten by mosquitoes a couple of times.  All we know, is that she was sniffing the lawn and suddenly leapt back looking bewildered.

We got home after half an hour and noticed that the right side of her snout (near her nose) had an egg-sized lump on it and her right flew was also swollen.  So we put cold towels on it and then I went out and got some Benadryl.

Now...what I'd like to know is how much Bendadryl should a 55 pound dog get?  I bought adult liquid Benadryl and gave her one  teaspoon. I would have bought childrens stuff since it doesn't contain alcohol, but the store didn't have any.
The dosage for 6 - 12 yr old children was 1 -2 tsps.  I figured with her body weight, one tsp. was enough for starters.

Thanks for any suggestions and if you would like, you can email me off-line.

Drools to all sick and injured houdies.
Our condolences to the family of Grandma Sara.

Karen and Lucie (Devil Dog!  -I itch, I itch)...stop scratching, Lucie!!