[Dailydrool] keeping dog kibble fresh.

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 28 16:07:36 PDT 2009

A little story here.  Many years ago when I was much younger (and thinner,
but let's don't go there), I had a cat, Dinah, and I lived in a very nice
3rd floor apartment here in Dallas, Texas.  I always kept the dry cat food
in the original bags, sitting on the floor of the pantry in the kitchen.  So
I buy a new, large bag one day, bring it up, open it and fill the cat's
bowl, then put the bag in the pantry.  Two days later the cat is out of
food, so I open the pantry door, and there are ants.  This is another thing
about 3rd floor apartments, you do not get ants coming in from outside on
their own (would you climb all those stairs???), you only get ants if
someone accidentally brings them in.  So I'm looking and wondering where the
heck did all these ants come from, and all the ants are coming from the
brand new, expensive bag of premium cat food, and there are millions of
them.  I grab the bag and run it out onto the balcony while the little
monsters are crawling all over my arm, biting me like crazy.  So now, what
do I do, cause that bag of food was expensive and I'm not throwing it out.
Ended up calling the store, they said bring it back and we'll give you a new
one, I said not on your life, the manager gets on the phone and he says to
put the entire bag in the freezer, it'll kill the ants and not harm the food
in any way.  So I did, and it did, and from that day to now, every bag of
cat or dog food (even food for the fish) that comes into my house goes first
to the freezer for several hours, then gets opened and transferred to a big
plastic container of some kind with a very tight lid.   If there's too much
to put in the container, it stays in the bag and goes back into the freezer.
Doesn't harm the dog or cat (or fish) food, and I can rest at night, knowing
that NO ANTS are in my house.  Traumatized me for life.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net

  _____