[Dailydrool] Beth and the Invisible Puppies

SUSAN INTESSIMONE froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 29 16:01:59 PDT 2009

Beth, a coonhound/basset mix, was spayed on Thursday.  She was neither in heat nor pregnant when spayed.  The incision looks great, but Saturday all along her mammary glands was all swollen.  Sunday Juliana came to me and said that she was nursing invisible puppies.  As my daughters are known to put stuffed animal dogs up against any female staying here, I thought she was just playing with her but she insisted I come look.  Beth is lactating!!  I thought maybe she had mastitis, but no, there's nopus or anything nasty coming out of every nipple--just pure white mother's milk!  I called the vet who was equally as puzzled.  We're going to treat her with antibiotics to make sure she doesn't get mastitis, but in the meantime, we're looking for orphaned puppies or kittens who might help relieve this poor dog!  (Having nursed my own 2-leggers, I KNOW what it feels like to have lots of milk!!!

Susan and the Hoptown Bassets + 2
Murphy, Jeremiah, Sweenie, + Beth and Percy