[Dailydrool] Miss Angela's birthday

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 08:39:06 PST 2009

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset, Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

Miss Angela had a wonderful and somewhat surprising birthday yesterday.  She had a morning spa appointment so I had to get her up before her normal rising time. (Usually she raises her head when I come down to work, then goes back to snoring happily.)  Her groomer, one of my former students, did a fabulous job of removing undercoat  and making her sweet and lovely for the day's events.  When I went to pick her up, they had put a pair of angel wings on her, fastened with a rubber band around her chest.  Miss Angela has always insisted on being
NUDE NUDE NUDE and I have never dared to give her fashion advice, but she accepted this with good grace and left  them on all day.  She even agreed not to roll in the dirt, her usual after bath habit.    She obviously knew it was a special day.

Since I am a day sponsor on my local NPR station, they broadcast a birthday announcement every hour  so lots of people wished her a happy birthday or mentioned her birthday when talking to me.  That's the fun part of being a member of my local station.

The UPS man stopped by to leave a big box from Willie the Basset, secretary of Kim Dunn's   BassetsRus Retirement Ranch.  Lots of yummies and lots of bubble wrap.  It turns out Angela does not appreciate the joys of bubble wrap.

Angela's Open House/Birthday Party began at 4 when her Uncle Don arrived with a nice treat for her.  From then on, it was a steady stream of visitors.  Her mailman buddy dropped by after work, all of the neighbors stopped by and many stayed a long time.  They all brought the treats that she had requested.
It did not go without notice, however, that many of the treats said "lean"  or "Lite" .   She even got a bandana, a  pound of hamburger and a supply of Frontline.  Angie rolled over for belly rubs from all who entered to the point that I figured that she must be getting a  sore or chafed tummy.  Miss Angela had requested that we not sing the Happy Birthday song.  She is not a big fan of my singing.

While I had invited people to a 4 to 8 open house, it turned in to a major party.
(I must have handed out too many drinks) There were still people here at midnight! I suspended the 'no feeding from the table' rule so Angela got pieces of cheese, summer sausage, crackers and pretzles.  Once she caught on to the change in rules, she became a shameless beggar. I am actually surprised that she wasn't sick.   The Diva was, needless to say, exhausted and is still sleeping loudly at this very moment (10:30 AM Saturday).  We have enough treats to last into the summer!

We certainly appreciate all the messages (condolences?) from Droolers
and friends .  Miss Angela is not so secure that she does not require some sort of validation from her fans, though she frequently acts as if it is just another day in the life of a normal dog.  One wonders how this will change as she gets further into middle age.  Hopefully she will learn to show more appreciation.

Bill (Also exhausted by hosting duties)
Angela (no response.....just snoring)