[Dailydrool] New Drooler reporting in.

Kathleen Lewis Kathleen.Lewis at Foxsports.net
Sat Mar 7 11:23:03 PST 2009

I read the post from Judy and Archie talking about how new Droolers
and/or lurkers should post about their houndies, and I was inspired to
tell you all about Oswald.

Oswald is about 3 years old and my boyfriend Keith and I adopted him
about 6 months ago.  When we adopted him he weighed 58 lbs.  He was like
a big walking sausage.  We've since been walking him regularly and he's
developed a waistline, but we haven't weighed him again yet, so we don't
know exactly how much he's lost so far.  Oswald likes other doggies, but
doesn't really like kitties except to bark at them or chase them if
we're on a walk.  He doesn't like to go very fast, but we've been
getting him to walk a lot faster now that he's been walking more.  He
doesn't run around the house much, but likes to play after a walk, or
sometimes just because.  If he sees me putting my shoes on at 3 pm, he
knows it's time for me to go to work and subsequently time for him to
bark at me for about 5 minutes straight.  Good thing our neighbors and I
have different work schedules and they are already at work by the time I
go.  Oswald's a very picky eater.  He doesn't like to eat unless you are
sitting right next to him and there is a treat mixed in with the food.
You still have to plead with him for a little while, but after about 5
minutes, he'll usually eat.  If not, we let it go since he's still a bit
overweight.  Often when I'm walking him people will say things like
"Wow, that sure is some healthy dog you have there.  He sure doesn't
miss a meal does he?"  It shows what they know!

He has a fairly low activity level I believe.  I've never been owned by
a basset before, but watching videos of other houndies, I've noticed
that he mostly just lays around while other dogs around the same age are
often doing the Basset 500.  Oswald doesn't have much agility either.
He never jumps up very high.  When he gets excited and looks like he's
trying to jump up, he gets about 2 inches off the ground.  He has a
difficult time jumping up on the couch sometimes.  He'll do this thing
where he gets his front two legs up on the couch and then walks his back
legs back to get momentum before jumping onto the couch.  Sometimes it
doesn't work, and that's really hilarious, but he tries again sometimes,
and other times he'll give up to go lay on his bed alone.  He also has
issues getting into the car.  We have to do a sort of wheel barrow thing
with him.  First we lift his front paws onto the seat and then we lift
the back ones up and sort of walk him into the car that way.

He gets to go play with his cousin dogs at his grandparents' house,
about once a week.  There are 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, a miniature
Schnauzer and a cat who gets barked at a lot by Oz.  He gets along well
with the other doggies, and will deal with the kitty if he has to...he
mostly likes the tootsie rolls the kitty leaves for him in the litter
box.

Overall he's the best dog we could have asked for.  He's a perfect
personality match with us and he's got nothing but love to give.  We
love him very much back too.

--Kat L.