[Dailydrool] pet therapy, barking, urinating?

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:18:37 PDT 2009

I know some of you on here do take your bassets for pet therapy. I am the
supervisor at a community residence for MR individuals. I was wondering how
I would go about or who would I contact to try to access these services in
my area?

With nice weather comes people and dogs or more of them. My crew has been
barking at anything that moves. I got back out the water spray and I spritz
them in the tush when they bark. It stops them from barking. I would not
squirt them in the face.  The reason that it works here is that 3 of them
would rather go without wet paws, taking a bath, or just being wet at all.
They have taught our 9 month old mini basset Cooper to bark. Ever hear that
one?  He has such a high pitched bark compared to the bassets.  Yesterday I
let out the 4 hounds into our chain link back yard. This is where they
always potty and are not allowed out of the fence off lead.  Anyhow, a house
3 or 4 down, there dogs got loose and ran to the other side of our neighbors
fence and we had a bark fest going on. I was out there in my pajamas with
slippers on trying to collect my barkers from their own yard because at
least 3 dachshunds from that house were barking at the other side of the
fence.  My dogs bark, they bark back, non stop pattern.  I have 2 dachshunds
and 2 bassets so we deal with barking.

Also, another question. I have never had a senior dog in my married life
besides Maggie now. She has been with us for 9 years. She is 9 years and 4
months old.  Today, Cooper was likcing the carpet. It looks like a faded
spot of yellow which I assume is urine.  I don't believe Maggie should be
incontinent yet. At what age does everyone see urinary incontinence in their
bassets?  Of course Mazzie is our lets pee on the dog bed basset or on a
towel in front of the door for muddy paws. She has never urinated on the
carpet, but has on beds three times total.  Yesterday, after the bark fest,
a few minutes later I walked back into the livingroom and there was a urine
puddle.  I am going to be very vigilant at trying to figure out who is doing
it.  It will be easier to tell during the week. I know this could be a UTI
or it could be that the barker from yesterday barked instead of pottying
outside. I am very aware of urinary issues that can happen as we have been
dealing with it from Mazzie for a year or more now.  Mazzie is due for her
check up and vaccinations. Maggie is not due until May.

Thanks and DRool to all in need,
Dee
Maggie and Mazzie (the girls---bassets)
Oliver and Cooper (the boys---mini dachshunds)