[Dailydrool] knowing if Basset is sick

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 13:53:32 PDT 2009

Welcome and good luck with the newbie.
If you think the Basset is not feeling well, have a Vet check it out. He may
just be missing people.
Otherwise:
Normal temp for a dog is 101 to 102.5. So they're going to feel warmer than
you all the time. I usually check the inside of the ear flap. I feel it with
the back of my hand-- if it is red and hot, then I use an LED rectal
thermometer to check. Lube the end, lift tail, insert. You can buy one for
about $5 from your Vet that reads out in about 6 seconds. It is called a
"Vet One" and is the best money I ever spent. Well, pretty much anyway.

Sick Bassets show lack of enthusiasm for the things they were happy about
yesterday, like eating, treats, walkies, eating, treats, treats, playing,
eating, and treats. A Basset who is not eating has a problem, and perhaps
should see a Vet.
A dog that vomits more than a couple of times, has diarrhea more than a
couple of times, vomits bloody stuff or has blood in the stool needs to see
a Vet now. A Basset that cannot get up, cries out when it moves or walks
needs a Vet, of course, but I suspect you know this stuff already since it
is mostly common sense.

Pretend the Basset is a kid. If a kid did that, would you take her to the
Vet? (sorry-- doctor.) If the answer is yes, you just answered your own
question.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Cooper