[Dailydrool] I should of just asked

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 11 07:55:38 PDT 2009

    Funny thing happened to us on Sunday. My parents were out of town (no family obligations) and I got caught up on the most pressing house cleaning issues on Saturday so Pw. Tasselhoff, Fizban and I had the day to ourselves. I got up early and went to the 8:00 Mass and then hurried home to spend the day with boys. We went to the Jordan River Parkway which is a walkway that runs through the Salt Lake Valley along the Jordan River for about 7 miles or so.

    We walked and sniffed for about three miles and then turned around and came back, so about a six mile walk total. LOL, turning around is always the hard part, "But MOM we already smelled that!" The whole walk took us about 3 hours. When we were about two hours in a man and his family, walking a small mix of some kind, stopped me and said "Basset hounds, huh?" "Yes." I replied. With a chuckle in his voice he said "How long are they good for, about 10 minutes?" "Actually," I said "we've been walking about two hours and have another hour before we get back to the truck." His jaw dropped and I smiled to myself as the boys and I kept walking.

    When we got home I put a couple of dog beds in the sun on the driveway and boys snoozed in the sun and I sat on the front porch and read a book. Then the wind picked up and we decided to go inside. Our front door has a glass door as well as the regular door. So I just closed the glass door so Tas and Fiz could watch the world go by. About this time Pw. Tasselhoff started to get a little whiney, not much just a high pitched whine here and there. I ignored it. After a bit I tried to take a nap, Fiz was amiable but Tas whined some more. I was a bit miffed but I gave up the nap idea and rubbed Tas' belly instead.

    I fed the boys dinner and then we just hung out some more. I was on the couch reading. Fiz was asleep on a doggy bed and Tas was looking out the front door and whining, argh. I thought maybe he wants to be outside, a spring fever sort of thing. Granted, they have a doggy door and he can go in the back yard whenever he wants, but maybe he wants to be in the front where all the action is. The wind is still blowing and it's cold and I don't want to just sit outside so I ask the boys if they want to go for another walk. Of course they agree to that. So we went for a walk through the neighbor hood, nothing too long, about 45 minutes or so. After all I had already taken them for a 3 hour walk.

   We get home again and get settled back in. The Pwince starts to whine, AGAIN.  I told him to stop, of course he didn't. Finally, frustrated, I yelled at him. "TASSELHOFF! KNOCK... IT... OFF! WHAT ARE YOU WHINING ABOUT? YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WHINE ABOUT. I'VE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY WITH YOU, YOU'VE BEEN FOR TWO WALKS, YOU'VE HAD YOUR BELLY RUBBED AND YOU'VE BEEN FED! WHAT.. DO... YOU... WANT?!?" Tasselhoff just looked at me until I finished my ranting. Then he walked up to me, looked at me and made the grumbling, growly noise he makes when he wants me to howl with him. "Oh,,, you want me to howl with you?" Grumbling noise is repeated so I start to howl. Tas joins in and soon Fiz is howling along with us. We howled for about 5 minutes and then Tas and Fiz settled down and both went to sleep. Tas didn't make a peep the rest of the night. I guess I just should have asked him what he wanted to begin with!

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban