[Dailydrool] Catch Up

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 08:28:16 PDT 2009

We haven't been very active on the DD over the last few weeks, but have been lurking all the same!  Morse is keeping me busy with his renewed interest in morning walks (he went off them around Christmas), and his afternoon walks are getting steadily longer.  He still plods at his own pace but is very reluctant when we turn for home,to the point of ending up flat basset in the middle of the road.  We invariably end up doing another lap of his favourite route.  I am trying to get 10 lbs off him but he does walk slowly so its a bit of an uphill struggle.  He is currently 81 lbs.   I try to vary the walk but he has only one criteria that is important to him: scavenging.  We are surrounded by a river and fields, but none of this matters to Morse.  What is important to him is a discarded box of KFC near our local store, some thrown away chips in a hedge, a scrap of sandwich kicked to the side of the road - *sigh* - the list is endless.  He
 managed to break into the neighbours garden that he also broke into last year.  I again scaled the fence and found him at the back of their garden, peering happily through their patio doors.  He was frogmarched out.  However, when we have ventured into the fields, there are some rich pickings to be found.  Rabbits here are suffering with myxomatosis and as so slow end up being killed by foxes etc.  So there are bodies or body-parts (ears, head, feet etc) all scattered around.  I spend a lot of  time prizing his jaws apart and shaking free a rabbit leg.  Plus there are a few frogs about too, dead - and they get rolled upon, joyfully.
We send drool for Eleanor for her surgery this week.  On the subject of cleaning teeth, Morse hotfoots it under the hedge as soon as I appear with the toothbrush.  I now just give him a Bonio a day after feeding in the hope that this will help de-plaque his teeth.  We were heartbroken to hear about Flash.  Helena and all the other rescuers do such a fantastic job, but not every basset can be saved.  We will light a candle tonight for the sweet boy, he is in a lovely place now.

Becky, Morse & Pumbaa ATB x