[Dailydrool] Little Haylee Update

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 16:16:54 PDT 2009

Linda Lartigue asked me to give everyone an update on little Haylee, our sweet girl that had both a broken leg that was not cared for and a strange hip rotation.

Hi Everyone -

I talked with the vet and Haylee's surgery went really well.  They did take the whole leg because the femur was already rotated 180 degrees out from where it should be, and the scar tissue was so thick, they felt they would get better results by taking the whole leg.  Dr. Hartley said there was very little bleeding, so that's another good thing.  She also commented that it was one of the cleanest amputations she has performed.

She is spending tonight at the vet's so she can be kept still and continue to receive fluids.  I took some food by for tomorrow so she can continue eating what she is used to and hopefully help avoid any tummy issues that might arise because of a change in diet.

I did not go back to see her because I didn't want her to get excited by seeing me.  Dr. Hartley promised to give me an update in the morning. I'll post again after hearing from her.

Both bassets and slaves at Basset Rescue of Florida want to thank each of you who has offered their support, both financial and emotional, for this little girl.  I especially would like to thank Linda who, as our representative in a far region of the state, is caring for Haylee.  I know it is difficult and there will be a sharp learning curve as she goes through recovery and rehabiliation.  We could do what we do without Linda.

We'll keep you updated - please continue to send healing drool for Haylee.

Pam

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com