[Dailydrool] Coyotes & sore noses

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue May 5 07:30:15 PDT 2009

First of all, the boys here are sending drool to all of those who need it!
So sad to hear of the recent bridge departures! And, happy gotcha days and
birfdays to those having them!

As for coyotes, we have them around here as well. There's been a fully
functional pack of coyotes around here for quite a few years! (We're now
surrounded by industrial parks, it used to be all farm fields). For the most
part, they don't hurt anyone, are still relatively afraid of humans (some of
my co-workers saw one last winter, and went out to try and coax it in or pet
it or something. I have no idea what they were trying to do, but they were
bent on trying to get up close to it!) and, the coyote ran for the hills!
Crispin, our spaniel mix, sings to them! That's how we found out he could
howl, he was talking to the coyotes one night about 3 am. We have an orchard
behind our house (and beyond the fence now), and we do still see them back
there occasionally. Usually, they hear the herd barking, come close enough
to see what all the racket is, then scram. But, yesterday morning (about 2
or 3 am), my parent's boys (Crispin the spaniel & Checkers the bagel)
demanded to go out, NOW! They patrolled the perimiter, which's normal, but
apparently also saw a coyote, as they were all over the fence! It just kept
motoring across the orchard, did some sniffing, and left to try and find
another bunny, or other small critter. Well, apparently Checkers (who's over
zelous, and tries to feign being "top dog") got overly cocky, and decided to
tell that coyote who's yard it was, and doesn't he forget it!! Apparently
Checkers some how found a rough spot in the fencing and now has a
scratched/cut snooter!! He's fine, but his nose was bleeding some yesterday,
and mom & I were trying to put neosporin on it. He can be a squirmy little
bugger when he wants to be!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473